Ex. A. Look at the pictures of Helen and use prompts to write sentences. Use the correct form of the present simple.
1. Every day, Helen gets up at half past seven.
2. Helen often eats fast food for lunch.
3. In the evening, Helen usually meets her friends for coffee.
4. Once a week, Helen watches a film at the cinema.
5. Helen rarely goes to the gym.
6. Helen has a driving lesson twice a week.
Ex. B. Complete using the correct present continuous form of the verbs in brackets. You may have to use some negative forms.
1. Gordon ? I think he is writing a letter at the moment.
2. Yes, the match is on TV now, but we are losing.
3. Right now, Margaret is having a shower. Do you want to ring later?
4. Sally is staying with her aunt for a few days.
5. I am not lying ! It’s true ! I did see Madonna at the supermarket.
6. Josh is always using my bike ! It’s so annoying.
7. We are having lunch, but I can come round and help you later.
8. Are you playing music up there ? It’s really noisy !
Ex. C. Rewrite correctly. Change the words or phrases in bold.
1. Are top musicians studying for many years ? – Do top musicians study for many years?
2. What’s going on ? I hope you don’t touch my things ! – What’s going on ? I hope you aren’t touching my things !
3. It’s a small business, so each person is doing lots of different jobs. – It’s a small business, so each person does lots of different jobs.
4. Does Christine listen to the radio, or is that the TV I can hear? – Is Christine listening to the radio, or is that the TV I can hear?
5. I am usually buying a special ticket each week for the bus bacause it’s cheaper. – I usually buy a special ticket each week for the bus bacause it’s cheaper.
6. Our washing machine is starting when you press this button. – Our washing machine starts when you press this button.
7. How’s the match going. Does our team win ? – How’s the match going. Is our team winning ?
8. Many people are enjoying spending time on the beach on holiday. – Many people enjoy spending time on the beach on holiday.
Ex. D. Circle the correct word or phrase.
1. I am working at the local library for the summer.
2. We don’t go to the theatre very often.
3. Stacy is getting ready for school, so she can’t come to the phone.
4. Does Gary ever talk about his expedition to the Amazon jungle?
5. In squash, you hit a ball against a wall.
6. I read a newspaper at least once a week.
7. Do you practise the piano for two hours every day?
8. Nadine and Claire are doing quite well at school at the moment.
9. A good friend knows when you’re upset about something.
10. How do you spell you name?
Ex. E. Complete using the correct present simple or present continuous form of the verbs in the box. You may have to use some negative forms.
1. In Monopoly, you move around the board, buying houses and hotels.
2. Are you watching this programme or can I turn the TV off ?
3. Regular exercise helps you to stay healthy.
4. I am using my brother’s guitar until I get a new one.
5. Does Simon always do the washing – up after lunch ?
6. Do you have any sweaters in a larger size ?
7. You aren’t holding the kite right. Let me show you.
8. Dad belongs to the local astronomy club.
Ex. F. Underline ten verbs in the wrong tense and rewrite them correctly.
One game I love is backgammon. You throw the dice and then you move your pieces around the board. It seems quite easy, but in fact you need to be quite careful. When your piece lands on one of the other person’s pieces, you take it off the board and you send it back to the beginning. You win by getting all your pieces to the end of the board. Some people prefer chess, but I don’t understand that game. Right now, I’m waiting to have a game with my brother. He is doing his homework. I usually win, so I think he doesn’t want to play a game with me!