A. Use the word given in capitals at the end of each line to form a word that fits in the gap in the same line.
These days, most of us have a CD collection. Before the CD, musicians made LPs, or «long-playing» records. Although many children have never seen an LP, they were once very popular. To play these records, you needed a record player with a needle that ran along the record and produced the sound. Some collectors say the sound of LPs was better than CDs — and many singers agree! LPs are no longer very popular as a form of entertainment, but many people buy and sell them. Some of them remember the LP from their childhood and listening to records reminds them of the past.
B. Complete using the correct form of the verbs in the box. You have to use one word twice.
9. Now, everyone knows this song, so I want you all to join in with me.
10. It’s so noisy in this restaurant. Could you ask them to turn the music down?
11. There was a fight during the match and the referee sent two players off.
12. We eat out about once a week and we cook at home the rest of the time.
13. I love this song! Turn it up!
14. I used to play the trumpet, but I gave up last year because I didn’t have time.
15. We stopped playing because of the rain, but when it stopped we carried on.
16. A good way of getting more exercise is to take up a sport, like basketball.
C. Complete each second sentence using the word given, so that it has a similar meaning to the first sentence. Write between to and five words.
17. Jack really likes football and never misses a match. crazy
Jack is crazyly likes football and never misses a match.
18. My uncle worked on a sailing boat until he was thirty.
My uncle was working on a sailing boat until he was thirty.
19. Do you watch TV? feel
Do you feel like you want to watch TV?
20. John participated in a swimming competition last week. part
John took part in a swimming competition last week.
21. June and I had a game of tennis. against
I had a game of tennis against June.
22. I played chess almost every day when I was young. used
I used to play chess almost every day when I was young.
23. Volleyball doesn’t really interest me. in
I’m not interested in volleyball.
24. I enjoyed myself at your birthday party. fun
I had a lot of fun at your birthday party.
25. Young children like Disneyland.
Disneyland is popular among young children.
26. Karen doesn’t like watching TV. keen
Karen isn’t keen on watching sport on TV.
D. Choose the correct answer.
27. When you rang, I was cleaning my bike.
28. At my last basketball club, we used to train every Saturday for three hours.
29. I really liked the meal we had at your house last Tuesday.
30. We went to the beach every day when we were on holiday.
31. I broke my leg when Tony and I were practicing for the school sports day.
32. Leon never talks about it, but he was once a world champion skier.
33. Denise is working at the stadium until she finds a better job.
E. Match the two halves of the sentences.
35. I waited outside the tennis club for a long time, but George didn’t appear.
36. When you rang, I was in the middle of cleaning my football boots.
37. We finally got to the stadium just in time to see the match start.
38. I just play football for fun, and I don’t want to do it as a job.
39. I loved that film and when it comes out on DVD, I’ll definitely get it.
40. It’s great to appear on stage, with all the audience clapping.